1-888-210-9968 • 24/7 1-888-210-9968 • 24/7 GET FREE ADVICE
The call is free. The advice is free.
Looking for Answers?

Have you or your son developed gynecomastia, or breast growth after taking Risperdal?

Wondering about your legal options?

We can help.  Contact us to find out the deadline for filing a claim in the United States.

Free Case Review

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

You pay us nothing unless we win your case.

  • You Have Questions
  • We Have Answers
  • We Get Results

Risperdal and Breast Growth in Males

Risperdal, or risperidone, is an antipsychotic medication which was first approved by the FDA in 1994. This drug is generally used to treat mental illnesses including schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and schizoaffective disorder. Risperdal is also sometimes prescribed to reduce irritability in autistic patients.

For many patients affected by these illnesses, Risperdal was an effective treatment which improved their quality of life. Unfortunately, some patients have instead been harmed by Risperdal side effects. Specifically, a number of adolescent male patients have experienced gynecomastia, or unusual breast enlargement, after taking this medication.

In response to news of a potential link between Risperdal and breast growth, a number of families have decided to seek additional information about Risperdal side effects and, in some cases, pursue lawsuits against the manufacturer of this drug.

Risperdal Side Effects

Gynecomastia is just one of numerous Risperdal side effects. Others include:

  • Seizures
  • Trouble swallowing
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Nosebleeds
  • Drooling or Tremor
  • Increased stroke risk in the elderly
  • Diabetes

What differentiates gynecomastia from other symptoms, lawsuits allege, is the strength of the warning. Plaintiffs argue that the warning for this condition was not adequate, and did not do enough to alert families to the potential risks of Risperdal.

Symptoms of Gynecomastia

Gynecomastia involves swelling of the breast tissue on one or both sides of the body. Sometimes, enlargement of the areola is also seen. On its own, this condition generally does not affect physical health. It can, however, cause significant emotional distress for young men affected by it.

A 2013 study published in the medical journal Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery noted that “Merely having gynecomastia was sufficient to cause significant deficits in general health, social functioning, mental health, self-esteem, and eating behaviors and attitudes compared with controls.”1

Treatment of Risperdal-related Gynecomastia

In around 75% of adolescent boys affected by Gynecomastia, breast swelling goes down over time, eventually returning to normal. However, in the other 25% of cases, treatment can prove difficult. Sometimes medication is recommended, but often these treatments have not been approved for gynecomastia treatment by the FDA. Often the best option for breast reduction is a mastectomy, or surgical removal of the breast gland.

Unfortunately, this surgery is rarely covered by insurance companies, which consider it a cosmetic procedure. Instead, families are often left covering the cost of a surgery that can help restore an adolescent’s self-esteem and emotional well-being.

Our law firm represents the families of children and adolescents who have developed gynecomastia after taking Risperdal. There are never any legal fees unless we win compensation in your case. Please do not hesitate to contact us; there is a limited time to file a Risperdal lawsuit claim.

For a free legal consultation, please call us toll-free 1-888-210-9968 or fill out our short contact form; our attorneys are here to answer your questions about Risperdal and breast development lawsuit claims.

1. Effects on Self-Esteem and Social Functioning Support ‘Early Intervention and Treatment’
Nationwide Claims Help

Click on your state for more information or call 1-888-210-9968.

AL AK AZ AR CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NV NH NJ NM NY NC ND OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY DC